Above all else, Leah Curtright wants her students to find something relevant to real life in her classes.
The Buford High School AP Psychology teacher and Social Studies Department Head has found that if she can bring practicality to the discussions in her classroom it”s then that the students really start paying attention.
Her peers and administrators with Buford City Schools seem to think she”s doing a pretty good job. She was named the overall teacher of the year for 2013 and is a very proud member of the district”s family.
The mother of two has worked for Buford City Schools for the past five years and says she loves the “sense of community.”
“You get to know the kids very well, and it”s just a perfect environment to teach,” Curtright said. “Working at Buford High School has tremendously improved my teacing abilities. It has really pushed me to be the best teacher I could possibly be.”
Added Curtright: “Our principal expects the best from us, and that really raises the bar.”
Principal Banks Bitterman said Curtright is a deserving educator. “She”s done a wonderful job, and we”re happy to have her here.”
At the end of the day, she just wants her students to be able to take something away that can help them in their lives. “We talk about how their studies relate to what kind of career they”d like. I want to get them really thinking about their education as it relates to their life beyond high school. That”s what”s important,” she said.
Buford High School Highlights for 2013-14 Year
- Newsweek”s Americas Best Schools, Washington Post”s 1000 America”s Most Challenging Schools
- 3rd in entire state for CCRPI among all Public schools (Not Charter/Magnet) for free or reduced lunch.
- 7 GHSA State Championships (Athletic and Arts): Softball, Football, One Act Play, Wrestling-Traditional, Wrestling-Dual, Gymnastic Literary
- 2 GHSA State Runner-Up Championships: Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball
Buford Middle School Highlights for 2013-14 Year
- BMS was recognized as Georgia”s Middle School Program of Excellence for Engineering and Technology. These programs were recognized as the best in GA for providing sound pedagogy and relevant STEM problem-based learning activities.
- Title I Reward School.
- FCCLA won two state-titles in Interior Design.
Buford Elementary Highlights for 2013-14 Year
- 2014 State finalist for the Family-Friendly Partnership School Award
- Extension of school wide technology to include a second computer lab and a state of the art “Cyber Playground”
Buford Academy Highlights for 2013-14 Year
- Initiated POWER UP for 30-A Georgia school”s commitment to adding 30 additional minutes of physical fitness for students during the school day
- Raised $56,000.00 for school playground enhancements which promotes and encourages physical activity
- Recognized (2) fourth grade students who were published authors and illustrators of the book War of Gods
- Promoted student leadership skills by implementing a Safety Patrol Club