Fall is the best time of the year for planting! From exploring new fall foliage to adding color to the landscape, there are plenty of fall gardening activities to keep homeowners playing in the dirt all season long. Pike Nurseries has plenty of tips and supplies for gardeners of any level.
- Do you want a touch of green showing through the snow in spring? If so, you”ll want to select and plant your bulbs now. Tulips, hyacinth and daffodils are popular choices – perfect picks for that desired splash of color!
- If you can”t wait until spring for some brightness in your garden, plant pansies or aster. These flowers will survive the frost and pansies will come back strong in the spring with new blossoms. Aster begins flowering in September and lasts into November.
- If you”re looking for seasonal veggies to plant, now is the time to plant them. Try cabbage, lettuce, beets, turnips, spinach, radishes, collards and broccoli. You”ll be able to harvest these plants and enjoy the “fruits” of your labor throughout the fall season.
- Fall is the time to tidy up things around the garden. To do so, cut back perennials, remove dead annuals and remove weeds along with leaf debris. This simple neatening will keep your garden healthy through the winter and help protect against pests.
- Another way to keep your garden healthy through winter is to mulch. Mulching in the fall helps keep temperatures consistent and protects the soil against heaving, which can cause roots to break.
About Pike Nurseries
Ever committed to its customers” gardening success, Pike Nurseries takes pride in taking the guesswork out of gardening. Offering superior knowledge, quality and selection in a friendly, caring environment, Pike Nurseries has been an Atlanta icon for over 50 years.#Founded in 1958 by Pete Pike, its ability to adapt to market conditions and community needs has made it a respected Southern institution.#As Atlanta”s oldest garden chain, Pike Nurseries has 16 retail locations in the Atlanta, GA, Greensboro, GA and Charlotte, NC areas and employs the most certified garden experts.#Now led by CEO Mike Kunce, Pike Nurseries looks forward to continued growth as it keeps Georgia and North Carolina beautiful, one landscape at a time.